ST GEORGE'S CHAPEL
Located in the Lower Ward, St. George's Chapel was the main place of worship of Windsor Castle, being both a royal peculiar and the chapel of the Order of the Garter. The chapel was built from the 15th to 16th centuries at the castle in the Perpendicular Gothic style, as an expansion and rededication of the 13th century Chapel of St Edward the Confessor. The Chapel of St Edward the Confessor was attached to the second of two religious colleges which were founded in 1348 by King Edward III and rededicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, St Edward the Confessor and St George the Martyr. Edward III also built the Aerary Porch in 1353-1354. It was used as the entrance to the new college.
St George's Chapel became the Mother Church of the Order, where a special service is still held every June and is attended by the members of the order. Their heraldic banners hang above the upper stalls of the choir where they have a seat for life. The silver gilded altar of the chapel was flanked on either side by the seats of the Knights of the Order of the Garter and in the pathway one would find the entrance to the vault that contained the tombs of Henry VIII, Jane Seymour and Charles I.
Much of the chapel was removed to make way for the Lady Chapel, which was then abandoned in favour of building it at Westminster Abbey.
The Choir of St George's Chapel at Windsor Castle has been in existence since 1348 and, with the exception of the Commonwealth period (1649-1660), has sung services in the Chapel continuously ever since. The choir comprises 23 boy choristers (5 of whom are probationers or training choristers) and 12 professional Lay Clerks, singing Countertenor, tenor and bass. The Choir sings daily during term-time.
The Matins service was a little later than she had hoped, but rising earlier was yet beyond her strength. Still, she had never been one to linger in bed until noon. Thus Catherine arrived just as the morningâ€™s service began.
She had once again donned full mourning, and, looking tiny and pale under all that black, slipped through the icy, misty mourning and into a pew to pray. Despite her efforts to compose her thoughts, they remained a jumble of wishes for the welfare of the Queenâ€™s soul, desperate need for forgiveness for her motherâ€™s death, and pleas that her own time upon the earth was not rapidly drawing to a close. Such an expressive little face could not conceal her inner turmoil from anyone practiced in the art of reading the features of others.