[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Age of Intrigue - historical RPG in England's 17th century Restoration • View topic - The New Years Eve Ball

News of the DayImage1Image2

WELCOME TO THE NEW SEASON OF AGE OF INTRIGUE, DECEMBER 1677

HAPPENINGS
THE MOMENT WE HAVE BEEN DREADING MAY HAVE JUST OCCURED. THE BOARD IS BROKE, PLEASE PROCEED TO emergencyaoi DOT jcink DOT net OUR EMERGENCY BOARD LINK. WE ARE OBVIOUSLY GOING TO HAVE TO TRY TO PORT TO NEW SOFTWARE BEFORE WE END THE SEASON. PLEASE REGISTER ON THAT BOARD & I WILL GET YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED. -DEFIANCE
Rumour of the Day

The New Years Eve Ball

Moderator: Privy Council

Re: The New Years Eve Ball

Postby Charles Audley » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:12 am

Charles and Elizabeth

Charles cocked his head and watched as Elizabeth tapped a finger against her chin in one of those elegant, quintessentially feminine gestures that so fascinated him as a lover of women. There was a certain... delicateness to the action that captivated him. It always amused him, in quiet moments, that such minor, modest things could attract him more than all the bared flesh in a brothel.

But perhaps I am simply a snob, and find blue blood most attractive of all.

"Glaring daggers you say? I confess I struggle to imagine why a gentleman would offer a young lady such offence as to provoke such." He smiled at Elizabeth. "Particularly when there are other things he might offer her. To whit, let us to the dance floor."

Waiting for the nest dance to begin, Charles noticed Elizabeth's backwards glance, and guessed what, or rather who, she was looking for.

And what would our little mouse do if she saw me with her sister?

Charles swallowed a grin, and shrugged in answer to Elizabeth's question.

"You would not have, my lady. I have been at court a mere week. I am but lately come to my title, and spent most of my youth abroad." His eye glinted. "Well, misspent."
Charles Audley
Lord Chatham | Ambitious Adventurer of Mercurial Temperament

Postby Aria » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:20 pm

George, Frances, and Tamsin parting

Tamsin was too new to court to know that couples didn't usually declare their affection for each other before they were betrothed. George and Frances were lucky that she wasn't prone to gossip and was good at keeping secrets. She might tell her mother and aunt that Lord Chichester had other plans regarding marriage just so that they wouldn't pressure him to court her, but she would never reveal anything more.

They both seemed so happy, as if they had always been meant to be together. It gave her hope that she would find true love too.

Lord Chichester took his leave and Lady Frances asked her if she would like to stroll around the room or be returned to her family. Before she could accept the former offer, a tall, finely-dressed gentleman (the same one who had been watching and eavesdropping on them, though neither were aware of it) approached her, bowed to both ladies, and asked Tamsin to dance. Not wanting to be rude, she accepted. “I will find you after the dance is over, Lady Frances,” she said, and then took the gentleman's arm and followed him to the dance floor.
Operas are beautiful things
They soar as if they have wings
But no matter how fun
You know that it's done
As soon as the fat lady sings
Aria
Global Moderator

Postby Aria » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:24 pm

Charles and Elizabeth

Particularly when there are other things he might offer her? Did he make a pass at Henrietta? That would certainly explain why she's afraid of him. Men had propositioned Elizabeth as well, but instead of running away from them, she generally slapped them with enough force to leave red hand-prints on their faces.

She was flirtatious, but she knew what her father expected of her and she would never compromise her purity. Unlike some young ladies, she understood exactly what those cads wanted from her, thanks to the racy novels she liked to read. Her father would be furious if he knew about them, but she kept them well-hidden. Henrietta had caught her reading one once, though, and had been shocked. Her sister had all the makings of a prude.

“Maybe that's exactly what happened.” Again, she carefully watched his face. “He offered her something that frightened her and she wanted to spare me the same thing.” Elizabeth could actually see him propositioning ladies, but in a subtle and witty way. Most of them probably accepted rather than refused. He did have a very potent allure.

“Only a week? Did you come just for Christmas?” She hoped he would be back next season. “You didn't like living abroad? I have heard many intriguing tales from people who have visited foreign countries, but I have no desire to travel myself. I can't imagine any place more exciting than London.”
But no matter how fun
You know that it's done
Aria
Global Moderator

Postby Charles Audley » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:31 pm

Charles and Elizabeth

Charles arched an inquisitive eyebrow.

"Is she so anxious then, that a gentleman asking her to dance would upset her so? Or... ah." He smiled. "That is not what I meant," he teased, amused at the conclusion Elizabeth had drawn.

It genuinely had not been, but Charles supposed he could forgive Elizabeth her misinterpretation, given his appearance and demeanour. Not that that forgiveness would stop him from making fun.

"The very idea," he mock-chided, lip curling upwards. "A gentleman does not proposition timid little creatures like your sister. It would be positively gauche."

"Hmm? Oh no, I loved my time on the continent. I would still be there if not for..." he hesitated a moment, unsure if he wanted to broach the topic even tangentially, "My father's passing." He shrugged. "But, if you would forgive the presumption, if excitement is what you desire, well, London has a great deal to offer, but the continent is rife with it, and all with the added allure of the exotic and unfamiliar. Venice, Vienna, Prague... I could stand here until next December and still have not finished listing."
Charles Audley

Postby Francis Kirke » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:36 pm

Francis Kirke
Lord Kingston | Dashing swordsman, Gentleman of the King & Villiers cousin

Title: Baron

Postby Raconteur » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:17 am

Frances with Tamsin Departing

She did nopt reply to Tamsin's request for an invitation - to do so might bring Bad Luck - or so she thinks. They had enough obsticals yet to conquer and so she would not add anything more.

Tamsin was about to reply but the arrival of a Gentleman Frances did not know interrupted and so Frances was soon left on her own with the others' words of looking for her after.

well I wished for Solitute but now that tis here why am I not Glad?

With a small audible sigh Frances rose and began her slow ramble back to her Family Group which is where Tamsin or anyone else would find her.
Raconteur
Master of Revelry

Postby Blackguard » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:41 am

Anne and Dorset

“The only people I have met so far are the three you saw me conversing with … Lord Denbigh, Lord Ibracken, and Mademoiselle Vauquelin. They are all quite pleasant and currently discussing the size of their tubs. "I suppose that your tub is larger than theirs?”

Her eyes sparkled mischievously. “While we wait for His Majesty to tire of his current companion's lungs, I wouldn't mind being introduced another intriguing courtier or two." The Countess sweetened her hint by pandering to his vanity with a complement: "As a dashing man of status, intelligence, and unparalleled wit, you must be acquainted with almost everyone here."

"A good start I suppose," Dorset replied as to the trio of her latest acquaintances. "Better than the likes you met in the drawing room." By that he meant his fellow Marry Gang. "Everything of mine is bigger than theirs," he added with ill-disguised humor.

"Others to meet. Well, let us see." His eyes scanned the room. He saw Newcastle, the man that wanted to be his father-in-law. Too proper for this one. His eyes then caught George Churchill trying to ingratiate himself with a lady whom he could not identify. Too dull. There was Francis Kirke, who might be perfect, but he was otherwise encumbered with that German thing that followed the Queen around. There was Lady Habersham, but Dorset had no patience with the crone. Had he liked Anne less, he would have punished her with an introduction. Ablemarle was a possibility, but he preferred to introduce her when she was deeper in her cups. The Duke would be wittier then. Ogle might be entertaining. The lordling was trying to dance with every pretty thing and the ball and was meeting with only good luck, as any future duke might. It was then that he saw Baptist May.

"Let me introduce you to the King's Privy Purse, and a man quite indispensable to the King." With that, he led her towards the smallish man attired as a court fop might.

"Bab," Charles called out, to distract him away from a pretty young lady that seemed barely 14. No doubt she was being measured for a royal bed. The slender man turned to the couple. "Dorset. Who is this you are bringing me?" A ready smile appeared on his face.

"I am not bringing you anything," Dorset retorted "other than a lady who asked to meet the most welcoming member of court. Master Baptist May, this is Anne, Countess Cambray. She is feeling quite homesick and I thought you might warm her with a bit of court cheer."

Bab reached to take her hand. "But of course. Welcome welcome my lady. No one here bites, well except for a few. And whereabouts is this faraway home of yours?"
Blackguard
Councillor

Postby Aria » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:32 pm

Charles and Elizabeth

Did he not mean his words the way I understood them or is he just saying that because he did not expect a naïve maiden to interpret them correctly? And how does he know that Henrietta is timid? Nothing I have said so far had indicated that she is not every bit as bold as I am. He must have met her before but doesn't want me to know it. Maybe he had no idea that he propositioned a Duke's daughter and now wishes to keep it secret.

Elizabeth was determined to figure this mystery out, but interrogating him was not the way to go about it. And so she let the subject go for the moment and listened to him talk about the continent. Instead of longing to go back home, he seemed rather reluctant to have left. “I do love adventure, but I think that perhaps the Continent offers gentlemen different kinds of entertainment than ladies. If I were to travel, I would probably see little more than my room and have nothing to do but read or embroider.

“If I had your freedom, then I think I would love to visit the Continent. Perhaps I will marry a gentleman who enjoys traveling and he will take me with him. I would love to hear some of your stories, though." Glancing back at her sister, she noticed that she was staring in horror at a beautiful blonde woman who was strolling around the room.

“Look!” she suddenly exclaimed. “My sister is glaring at that Swedish princess the same way she was glaring at that man I mentioned earlier. I wonder why she seems frightened of her.
But no matter how fun
You know that it's done
Aria
Global Moderator

Postby Anne-Elisabeth Devereux » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:59 pm

Anne-Elisabeth and Dorset

“Oh, I don't know,” Anne-Elisabeth replied airily. “The Merry Gang has their own appeal.” She laughed when Lord Dorset claimed that his tub … and everything else … was larger than Lord Denbigh's and Lord Ibracken's. “I would say the same, but like I told you, I never lie. My tub is nice and tight. And usually wet.”

She was pleased when he agreed to introduce her to other courtiers while they waited for the King to be free again. The young Countess watched him as his eyes traveled around the ballroom, wondering who he would choose first. There were so many people at the ball tonight, and all but a few were complete strangers. So far, everyone she had met had been amiable and witty. She hoped that her enchanting companion would not introduce her to somebody dull just to make himself look magnificent in comparison.

The King's Privy Purse. Anne-Elisabeth assumed that meant that the gentleman in question was in charge of the monarch's personal finances and would be an excellent person to be acquainted with. She accompanied Dorset over to a tall older man who had been conversing with a pretty teenager. Perhaps she was his granddaughter or maybe he had an interest in younger women.

An elegant dark eyebrow rose at the exchange between them. The blonde Earl seemed almost possessive of her, declaring that he didn't intend to give her to Master May. Did they exchange ladies often, she wondered? He said she was homesick, which wasn't exactly true, but did make a good opening for a conversation.

Master May reached for her hand and she let him take it, lifting it slightly in an invitation for a kiss. “Thank you,” she replied with a playful smile. “It is a delight to meet you, Master May.”

Her eyes widened. “Not many people bite?” She pouted prettily. “Not even if I ask them to? What if I bite them first?”

He then asked about her homeland. “I'm from Barbados, a land of sun and sea. I'm not accustomed to cold weather, and am hoping to find some warmth here in London. I only arrived yesterday and this is the first event that I have attended.”
Anne-Elisabeth Devereux
New Arrival

Postby Charles Audley » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:41 am

Charles and Elizabeth

"There is that," Charles conceded easily. "Your sex is more limited in what is generally found acceptable for them, but I would call your attention to the example of Hortense Mancini. One can do anything one wants, if one is willing to pay the price."

(That suggesting that Elizabeth emulate one of the most extraordinary women of their or any other time was somewhat unhelpful did not occur to Charles.)

He laughed loudly as she told him she would love to hear his stories.

"Good Lord my lady, show some caution in extending such invitations to an old soldier! I'll bore you senseless given half a chance."

He was still chuckling when Elizabeth pointed out Henrietta glaring at Juliana. His impish spirit of mischief stirred to life.

"Hmm? I have always found her highness charming and gracious company. I do wonder what she might have done... Shall we go ask her?" he suggested brightly.
Charles Audley

Postby Louis Killington » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:04 am

Louis and Bridget

Louis had expected the girl to be a wallflower waiting for him. He showed his surprise at Bridget's revelation with a smile. Well well. Perhaps she is not so helpless after all.

"Excellent," he praised. "You are quite the adroit student it seems." He shared a laugh as she told him how she left and then returned. "Well played," he complimented. "Perhaps your sisters were watching too?" He wanted to know if they were present.

"Advice? Well you must share this excellent advice you received. Where did you come by it?"

When she acknowledged the fact that she had taken her own maidenhood, he but nodded his understanding. A part of him wanted to abandon her and make her suffer the folly of deflowering herself for nothing in return. Yet, he was fairly sure that he might find her useful, and that he might foist her off on Buckingham ultimately.
Louis Killington
Lord Basildon | Treasurer of H.M.H., Handsome, Ambitious Duelist

Title: Earl

Postby Aria » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:09 pm

Charles and Elizabeth

Elizabeth was a bit startled at Lord Chatham's suggestion that she become like the notorious Hortense Mancini, but she hid it well. She did admire certain things about the woman, but her father would kill her with his bare hands if she followed in the Duchess of Mazarin's footsteps. “I suppose that if I was married to an abusive lunatic, I might run away to the continent so that he would never find me, and then I could travel to my heart's content.”

Left unsaid was the fact that she would have to find a way to make money while she was abroad, which probably meant she would have to become the mistress of wealthy men wherever she roamed. The notion was not unappealing, but it was a path that she would consider taking only in desperate circumstances, and under an assumed name to keep the stain of dishonor from her family. “But I hope my future husband is kind and sane.” She trusted her father's judgment. He would never knowingly give her to a cruel and paranoid man.

“You'll only bore me if you tell me war stories. I'd rather hear about the cultures of the places you have been to. I can listen to tales about foreign lands for hours.” It was, after all, the closest she would likely ever come to visiting them herself. Sometimes Elizabeth wished she had been born a boy. She would have been her father's heir, since she was older than her brothers, and everything she had ever dreamed of would have been hers for the taking.

“Oh, you know her?” For some strange reason, that revelation surprised her. The pretty brunette glanced at the princess again and then at the dance floor, where couples were beginning to line up. “I would love to meet her, but maybe after our dance is over, unless you would like to skip it.” She rather hoped that Lord Chatham was still interested in dancing with her.
But no matter how fun
You know that it's done
Aria
Global Moderator

Postby Aria » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:16 pm

Louis and Bridget

Louis was proud of her, just as she knew he would be. When he asked after her sisters, Bridget's gaze swept the room. “I don't see any of them.” Anne and her husband, both veterans of balls, could have become bored and sought entertainment elsewhere. They trusted her to behave herself, as she had never given them any trouble and had always conducted herself in a proper manner. They might have taken Catherine and Sophia with them. Her younger sisters were more mischievous than she. “They could have gone to one of the drawing rooms or maybe they're somewhere among the crowd."

As for where she had obtained her advice: “I met Princess Juliana of Hesse-Eschwege. She understands how I feel because she was shunned when she lived in Sweden. We got along really well and she gave me a few pointers that worked wonderfully. Her advice was not nearly as good as yours, though.”

He simply nodded when she told him that she was no longer a virgin. She had expected more enthusiasm. But they were still in a public place, and she understood the need for playing it safe. While she longed to ask when they could leave, she decided not to. He would let her know when he was ready to depart.
But no matter how fun
You know that it's done
Aria
Global Moderator

Postby Blackguard » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:47 am

Anne-Elisabeth and Dorset

Dorset had found a saucy one in Anne. He had not recalled ever encountering a Countess with such a focus on the bawdy. "We shall see," the blond earl remarked in response to her tub allusion.

"Just be sure you do not bite the wrong hand," May cautioned with feigned seriousness. "Barbados? I am told it is quite hot there, suitable only to darkies. You must be freezing beneath your winter attire. Here for but a day? It must have been quite the trip. Do tell me that you repelled pirates on your journey," he laughed, hoping to spark an outrageous yarn.
Blackguard
Councillor

Previous