[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Age of Intrigue - historical RPG in England's 17th century Restoration • View topic - Ladies' Adventuring Society Races | 1pm, 24th

News of the DayImage1Image2

WELCOME TO THE NEW SEASON OF AGE OF INTRIGUE, DECEMBER 1677

HAPPENINGS
THE MOMENT WE HAVE BEEN DREADING MAY HAVE JUST OCCURED. THE BOARD IS BROKE, PLEASE PROCEED TO emergencyaoi DOT jcink DOT net OUR EMERGENCY BOARD LINK. WE ARE OBVIOUSLY GOING TO HAVE TO TRY TO PORT TO NEW SOFTWARE BEFORE WE END THE SEASON. PLEASE REGISTER ON THAT BOARD & I WILL GET YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED. -DEFIANCE
Rumour of the Day

Ladies' Adventuring Society Races | 1pm, 24th

Moderator: Privy Council

Re: Ladies' Adventuring Society Races | 1pm, 24th

Postby Hope » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:56 pm

Anne's accolades fell upon Lady Kedishall for the first, then Mlle Vauquelin for the second - her windswept appearance and out-of breath voice showing not a trace of disappointment at her own loss.

"Oh I thought I nearly had it, but then my mount seemed to run out of breath too!" she exclaimed to Caroline, then commenting to Doug, "I suppose horses need training for races too."

As all settled once more, Anne found herself alongside Sophia. Perhaps there was an affinity for neither of them had won a race, or perhaps it was mere coincidence. "It has been a fine afternoon." she smiled breezily, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "What event can we hope for next season Lord Dundarg." and she gave a grin Sophia, "we must do this often!"

Yet the afternoon was indeed over now, so it was time for the farewells. Anne herself (and no doubt others there too) were keen to press on to the house of Lords afterwards, to hear the verdicts reached on the possible war with France. "Thank you so much for your fine event, Lord Dundarg. And ladies, for your good company." she farewell cheerily.

"We are such stuff as dreams are made on..."
Hope
Global Moderator

Postby Nicolette Vauquelin » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:20 pm

Nicolette laughed at Caroline's returning quip; it was a little cheeky, a little competitive, and entirely familiar. She was still giggling of it as she wished Sophia “Viel Glück" too (which sounded enough like the English counterpart that Nicci guessed it also meant good luck.)

Then they were off, Nicci did her very best, though nervy with caution of being thrown off. Off ahead of her she saw Caroline soar into the lead... then came Anne, then Sophia, then Nicci. "La!" she approached Caroline after it was over, "I managed to hold on, I have bruised pride and not derriere! Congratulations Lady Kedishall."

The Duchess impressed Nicolette, she seemed a fine adventurer indeed, her feet barely seemed to touch the ground so high her attitude. Never the less Nicolette determined to try harder for the next race, while it was possible to loose gracefully, she would still far prefer to test her graciousness in victory.

The steeplechase. Nicolette hardly knew how it had happened, perhaps the fortune of a good start that had her take an early lead? Perhaps Lord Basildons horse was a bit like it's owner, and once hold of an advantage pressed it to the fullest? Nicolette could hear the others horses close behind her, and a mania descended upon the usually gentle girl. "Go, go!" she urged. Then, of a sudden victory was hers, and she was rosy cheeked and beaming atop the prancing mount.

"Oh my!" she broke into laughter, the laughter of disbelief, smiling to the others as they completed the course. "That was exhilarating!" and at that moment, heady over the win, Nicci thought she'd discovered her new calling in life!

Yet all good things have to end, this was true for the Ladies Adventuring Society Inaugural meeting too - the Duchess was the first to press on with her days plans. Nicci was somewhat less eager to her of war declared. After waving farewell to Anne Scott, she turned to the dwindling company. "Shall we race to the gates? La, Lord Dundarg, will you race with us too?" She encouraged, postponing farewells till the last possible moment.

Et Fin

OOC: thanks for a fine activity Douglas!
Nicolette Vauquelin
Mistress Vauquelin | Impoverished French Belle

Title: Gentry

Postby Douglas FitzJames » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:15 am

Douglas clapped and laughed delightedly as the ladies finished first one race and then the other. No one had fallen off or been injured and all looked exhilarated; the point was that they tried something they wouldn't normally do, and have fun doing it.

"Huzzah!" He called to them, grinning broadly. "As fine a race as e'er was run. Clearly nocht fazes these braw Adventuresses."* He said as he approached. It had been a fun afternoon for him, watching the ladies have fun. Hopefully they'd enjoyed it even more than he had. Nicci particularly seemed over the moon with her win, Anne perhaps a little disappointed but there would be other opportunities, and she would always be the First Adventuress.

The day was getting on and it would be time to go soon; he had to meet Beatrice at Lords and likely he wasn't the only one here wanting to attend. He didn't have a trophy for the winners but he did have something.

"I hae a wee ochie fer aw the bauld adventuresses t'dae, an' ocht more fer the winners o' the races."** He told them all. Each lady was handed a tiny pouch in white satin, and the winners received a second small pouch in yellow satin.

The white pouches each held a silver charm, a rider crouched low over a galloping horse, the numbers 4/77 'branded' on the horse's flank. The yellow pouches contained a gold charm, a tiny trophy cup. They were the kind of charms that went on a bracelet, the sort of subtle decoration that would allow another in the know to understand that the wearer had participated in the event and, if she hung the trophy next to it, that she had won.

"Aye, a race tae the gates. Thank ye lairdies fer attendin' an' thair weel def'nitely be more adventures. I'm thinkin' a shootin' lesson an' competition next."*** He revealed.

Mounting up, Douglas joined the ladies for the race to the gates. His horse was no prime racer and given the changable path they had to run, no winner was certain. He ran it simply for the fun of it, and the enjoyment of seeing the ladies enjoying themselves, caught up in the excitement of the moment.

At the gates he bid those whose destination lay elsewhere farewell, and rode on to Lords with those who were going that way.

OOC: Fin! And thank you for joining me!

Douglas FitzJames
Baron Dundarg | Lifeguard Captain, Illegitimate Scottish rogue

Title: Baron

Postby Caroline Despanay » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:01 am

The pair of races proved to like the old saying 'feast or famine'. Thanks to a quick jump at the very beginning and Carolyn's urgings her steed took the lead and kept it in the sprint race. Caroline was all smiles as she accepted everyone's congratulations, basking in victory. However the second race proved to be a disappointment. Immediately after clearing the first hurdle, her horse stumbled, almost sending it's surprised rider tumbling. If she had not been an experienced rider she wouldn't have stayed on. However, by then she was bringing up the rear and the horse slightly spooked by the experience, he decided apparently he was done with trying very had. So she had a first place and a last place. She still had fun though and gamely joined the rest in congratulating Nicci.

When the two young ladies were apart enough from the others, Caroline spoke in a tone quiet enough that only the other girl could hear, "It seems we Frenchwomen dominated this day I dare say."

Then she beamed.

Lord Dundarg even handed out prizes, Caroline opening hers to see the gold charm symbolizing her victory, it was very sweet of the man and she thanked him profusely.

"I shall attach this to one of my favorite bracelets," she decided aloud.

Alas the day turned out too short and soon they all were exchanging good byes, departing in a fine mood. Caroline made a point to thank the Scotsman for inviting her to come and assured the man she would gladly do this again or try that shooting he had talked about too.

~Finis
Last edited by Caroline Despanay on Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caroline Despanay
Lady Kendishall | Young Foreign Widow

Postby Sophia de la Cerda » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:23 pm

Sophia enthusiastically congratulated the winners, not at all disappointed that she hadn't won. She had never been very competitive in anything but her music. If she had lost a singing contest, she would have been quite upset.

What did bother her was that Acapella seemed wary around the other horses, and she believed that was the reason he didn't do so well. He definitely needed more training. With her new marriage and her party occupying most of her time, she had put off finding an instructor, but she would began searching for one tomorrow. Maybe Esteban knew someone who could help her.

She found herself beside the Duchess when Douglas passed out the pouches. The silver charm was delightful and she knew just which bracelet she would fasten it to. Looking over at Anne with a mischievous grin, she whispered: “Perhaps the two of us should get together soon and practice racing on our own. It would be much fun.”

Douglas revealed that the next event might be a shooting competition, and Sophia wondered if Esteban would be willing to teach her to shoot, or allow her bodyguard to give her lessons. Then she would be prepared and have a head start. Not that winning was important. She'd had a wonderful time doing something new, and the entire experience had been exhilarating.

The race back to the gates was exciting as well, and after farewells had been said all around, she headed toward the House of Lords with the others who were going that way.

~finis~
I am sixteen going on seventeen; I know that I'm naïve;
Fellows I meet may tell me I'm sweet; And willingly I believe.

I am sixteen going on seventeen; Innocent as a rose;
Bachelor dandies, drinkers of brandies; What do I know of those?

~ from The Sound of Music

Sophia de la Cerda
Lady Toledo | Capricious Beauty & Dazzling Soprano

Title: Baroness

Previous