[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Age of Intrigue - historical RPG in England's 17th century Restoration • View topic - Sleigh Race -- Afternoon of New Year's Day

News of the DayImage1Image2

WELCOME TO THE NEW SEASON OF AGE OF INTRIGUE, DECEMBER 1677

HAPPENINGS
THE MOMENT WE HAVE BEEN DREADING MAY HAVE JUST OCCURED. THE BOARD IS BROKE, PLEASE PROCEED TO emergencyaoi DOT jcink DOT net OUR EMERGENCY BOARD LINK. WE ARE OBVIOUSLY GOING TO HAVE TO TRY TO PORT TO NEW SOFTWARE BEFORE WE END THE SEASON. PLEASE REGISTER ON THAT BOARD & I WILL GET YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED. -DEFIANCE
Rumour of the Day

Sleigh Race -- Afternoon of New Year's Day

This forum is for PC and NPC sponsored parties or events.

Moderator: Privy Council

Re: Sleigh Race -- Afternoon of New Year's Day

Postby Sophia de la Cerda » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:44 pm

The Toledos

“I'm sure you will do fine.” Esteban was quite handsome when he smiled. Since he did it so rarely, Sophia had never noticed before. Their relationship did seem to be changing since this morning.

It's been many years since I've thrown snowballs too.” Except for the snowball fight she'd had before the opera with Master O'Neill, she hadn't played in the snow since she had left Germany. That had been a bit less than six years ago, but to a girl as young as Sophia, six years seemed like forever.

“Very well,” she said. Gathering a considerable heap of snow in her small hands, she tossed it in the sleigh. “I claim this sleigh in the name of Spain,” she laughed. As she continued to pile snow in it, making certain she left a place for herself to sit, she posed her question again, since her husband had not answered it.

“Whether His Majesty races or not, do you think it is a good idea for us to win or to let an Englishman pull ahead of us at the last moment? If we win, do you think he will be less inclined to agree to your treaty?”
I am sixteen going on seventeen; I know that I'm naïve;
Fellows I meet may tell me I'm sweet; And willingly I believe.

I am sixteen going on seventeen; Innocent as a rose;
Bachelor dandies, drinkers of brandies; What do I know of those?

~ from The Sound of Music

Sophia de la Cerda
Lady Toledo | Capricious Beauty & Dazzling Soprano

Title: Baroness

Postby Anne-Elisabeth Devereux » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:49 pm

Anne-Elisabeth and Ogle

He's either the boring proper sort or a naïve fellow who doesn't understand the naughty turn of a phrase. Or could he be playing hard to get? Anne-Elisabeth had initiated quite a few young gentlemen into the joys of lovemaking, and if he wished for instruction, she would be happy to provide it. “Don't worry, my lord, I like it rough,” she assured him, trying double-entendre again. "And since we both fully intend to win, we should be unstoppable.”

He seemed to be as good a judge of horses as she was of men. I wonder if he's hung like one, she mused. I should really get my mind out of the gutter and concentrate on the task at hand. “I trust your judgment, but I think that I should help you with the snow instead of getting in the sleigh right away. We're going to need a lot of it and four hands are better than two.”

In truth, she would rather sit in the sleigh than risk another fall but they only had five minutes to pack snow in the sleigh. “Shall we?” she asked, scooping up a large handful and depositing it inside. She could start forming it into snowballs as the race was about to begin. Quantity was more important than quality at the moment.
Anne-Elisabeth Devereux
New Arrival

Postby Charles Audley » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:51 am

Charles, bidding farewell to Caroline, Francis, and Anne-Elisabeth.

"Nor do I," he told Francis of his partner, shrugging. "But I suppose I had best go find out. You will all forgive me, I trust, if I do not wish you luck." He laughed and moved off.

and seeking out Cordelia

His plan to find his partner was immediately stymied by the fact that he had absolutely no idea what she looked like. Fortunately, this minor problem was almost immediately rendered moot, as she found him. He nodded his head in greeting, hiding a grin at Nicolette's joke at his expense.

Am I being punished for something Mademoiselle?

"I should hope we give them a run, for I'm hardly pretty enough for show," he said lightly, straightening and returning her smile. Taking in her upright posture and frank gaze, Charles decided he liked her.

"Shall we select our chariot before the best teams are taken?" he asked. Charles did not know what made a good sled horse, and further suspected that the snow would render things even more random, but that was no reason to be laggardly. He offered Cordelia his arm.

An idle thought struck him, a recollection of where he had heard the name Lady Lucas before.

"Am I correct in thinking that you know my stepmother?
Charles Audley
Lord Chatham | Ambitious Adventurer of Mercurial Temperament

Postby Cordelia Lucas » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:29 am

Cordelia and Charles

His appraisal was just as frank and she was thankful.

"Well I can think of no reason why we can not provide a good showing - the 'competition' is hardly Gladitorial after all and I suspect most will have no real knowledge of how a sled is used. Do you?"

She accepted his offered arm then continued her discourse as they walked.

"Best to go for the horses at once. One is sufficient. The ground is firm and as no new snow has fallen will be easy enough. That one there -" pointing to a large dark brown horse that was clearly more at home in a field that where it now found itself. "Strong body and legs fit to pull carts or a wagon. You must keep a tight hold. Can you manage?"

This in reference to his handicap of one eye.

"I do indeed. We are 'neighboors' of sorts at St. Marks. She will, I think, be determined to pull ahead. Let us not worry about snowballs but focus on finishing strongly - everyone else will be target hunting!"
Cordelia Lucas
Lady Lucas | Fashionable Matchmaking Widow

Postby Caroline Despanay » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:49 am

ooc: Sorry, I got lost in all this.

"Ha! Well, it seems we are so slow that we are to be paired together," Francis said to Caroline as their grouping joined the others who were gathered around Nicolette.

"I am certainly not slow, I cannot speak for you, my lord," Caroline patted the man's cheek as she smiled.

"Do expect a bumpy ride, and I expect some good on-target hits. Unless, of course, you wish to drive and I shall pelt these poor souls with snowballs?"

"Drive? I do not know how to drive one of these things. You are the captain of a fine sailing ship, you can certainly handle a mere sled. Besides I dearly wish to throw snowballs," Caroline dearly wanted to hit certain people in this race. Especially one though it did seem like he was scurrying away with his tail between his legs.

The pair then scrambled onto their sled. The game was on!
Caroline Despanay
Lady Kendishall | Young Foreign Widow

Postby Blackguard » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:39 am

Get Ready

Toledos

"I think we win if we can," Esteban answered her query. "We are more apt to be remembered for winning the race than for forfeiting it." His was happy that his wife was in a good mood. It would make matters more entertaining.

"I should have brought a flag," the Baron laughed as she claimed the sled. He helped her board.

Ann and Ogle

"Good, because I expect it to be rough." Whether he was oblivious to the innuendo or not, he seemed to busy himself with snowballs. "You there," he called to the groom. "Be a good fellow and help us load up." The groom at their sleigh was only too happy to assist.

"Unstoppable," he repeated as they finished their load and then he helped her in the sleigh.

Beverley, Peggy and Mary

"I am so sorry husband," Mary apologized as she moved up to join her husband. "It was all my fault" Peggy defended. "I had an issue with my wardrobe and your wife was a godsend."

"Are we too late to join?" Mary asked her husband. "Maybe I could ride with you too," Peg offered, not sure of the rules. She looked about as sleighs were being filled with snowballs. "Should we be making snowballs?"

Davina Joined by George and Peregrine

"Miss Wellsley," Peregrine purred as he approached. He acted as if the two knew each other well. They had been introduced in the past but had not spent much time in each other's company. "Don't tell me you are sitting this one out. You are far too lovely for that," he flattered.

"Come, there is a sleigh open. Let's seize it, the three of us and have some fun," George insisted. "Don't worry, I have had experience driving these silly things." There was indeed an open sleigh nearby.

Killigrew

It was becoming obvious that things were not moving smoothly. People were slow to join and late arrivals seemed ready to breach the race protocols.

"Everyone racing is making a contribution to the Queen's charity," he reminded everyone aloud. "Two per sleigh," he insisted, though pausing to see if Nicolette would override that limitation.

OOC~ Each of you can assume that a servant assists in getting at least 24 snowballs in each sleigh. Those that helped packing can have 36 snowballs.

Each of you can have one more post and then the race will start. Driving a sleigh is a dangerous thing. Few gentlemen are well-versed in the art, preferring that the lower classes handle the conveyances. As such, the speeds are likely to be slow since no one wants to flip a sleigh or run into a tree. Fortunately, the course is a straight away and flat.
Blackguard
Councillor

Postby Davina Wellsley » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:27 am

Davina Joined By Two Gentlemen

Her name being called out made her turn round and she was met by the advancing figures of George Churchill and Peregrine Osborne both looking well preserved for such an hour.

"Well Well. Mr. Osborne and Mr. Churchill what I wonder has made you both appear? You flatter me Sir yet find me on the retreat. I am not made for such persuits as Misrule and Killigrew seem to believe."

"I fancy not an injury and besides tis far too cold. You two should take the Field! Why there is indeed one open ...."

While she was talking she had slowly began to walk which ment that they had to follow and within a few moments were next to said sleigh.

"In you go Gentlemen! You!" She called out to a loitering servant in a voice that would take no rebuffing. "See to them rightly and I suppose collect snow?"

She smiled at the two most charmingly her cheeks pink and eyes sparkling.

"I shall cheer you both on naturally!"

get in will you! I have no intention of riding anything with either of you so do not think I will be swayed!
Dress was her passion. She had a most harmless delight in being fine - Jane Austin

Davina Wellsley
Mistress Wellsley ! Fashionable Well Connected Catholic

Title: Gentry

Previous