Our new season is now open: Spring 1677 !
50 questions To Ask Your Character
This tool can be a fun one to use in fleshing out your character, allowing them to 'talk' to you like a real persona and allowing you to see different facets of them that you may not have known existed, often making otherwise two-dimensional characters become so much more.
Although you need never share your answers with anyone, they may come in handy when getting assistance from another player. They may see an interesting hook you missed or a conflict in visions by questioning why your “rich, happy sunshine girl” now slits throats for a living besides just waking up one day and deciding to do so. If one question raises more, don’t avoid it… run with it… There is no “one answer” to most of these, nor are you limited to just these fifty.
Now, onto the questions:
- What about your character is good / evil?
- What does your character like / dislike about people?
- What is an adventure that your character would undertake (as opposed to just tagging along)?
- What is your character’s real name? What name does he / she go by?
- Does your character have a nickname? What is it, and where did he / she get it?
- How does your character dress most of the time?
- How does your character "dress up?"
- Does your character wear any jewellery?
- In your opinion, what is your character’s most redeeming feature? How about their least redeeming?
- What is your character’s most prized material possession? Why is it valued?
- What one word best describes your character?
- Who was your character’s father, and what was he like?
- Who was your character’s mother, and what was she like?
- What was your character’s parents’ relationship like? Were they married? Did they remain married?
- Does your character have siblings? What are their names? What are they like?
- What is the worst thing one of your character’s siblings ever did to him / her? What's the worst thing he / she did to them?
- When's the last time your character saw any member of their family? Where is the family now?
- Does your character have other family members? Who were they? What did he /she think of them?
- Has anyone or anything close to your character died? What happened?
- What is your character’s first memory?
- What was your character’s favourite toy as a child?
- What was your character’s favourite childhood game?
- Any non-family member adults stick out in your character’s mind? Who were they, and why do they stick out?
- Who was your character’s best friend growing up?
- What is your character’s fondest childhood memory?
- What is your character’s worst childhood memory?
- What is your character’s view of authority, and what event most affected it?
- Who was your character’s idol when you were growing up?
- Do your character have a job? What is it? Does he / she like it? If no job, where does your money come from?
- What is something your character learned to loathe?
- Does your character tend to save or spend their money? Why?
- What annoys your character more than anything else?
- What would be the perfect gift for your character?
- What habit that others have annoys your character most?
- What kind of things embarrasses your character? Why?
- What time of day is your character’s favourite?
- What kind of weather is your character’s favourite?
- What is one thing your character does not like about themselves?
- What one act in your character’s past are they are most ashamed of?
- What one act in your character’s past are they most proud of?
- Is your character a better leader or follower? Why do you think that?
- What is the thing that has frightened your character most?
- Do you think there is anything out there that's scarier than that? What would that be?
- How private of a person is your character? Why?
- What is one thing your character is a sucker for?
- Does your character have any bad habits?
- If your character were to gain an obscenely large sum of money what would you do with it?
- Does your character believe in fate?
- What are your character’s immediate goals?
- What are your character’s long-term goals?
These are designed as self-help tools and not as a replacement for creativity in the Personality/Background section of your character sheet. Please use for inspiration only.