Our new season is now open: Spring 1677 !
Bunhill Fields Cemetery
With so many dead from the plague City of London Corporation was forced to use some of the fens and moor as burial ground for those who could not fit in the churchyards. Bunhill Fields was a perfect place, having been used in times past as a practice area for archers and other military citizens. Curiously the grounds were never consecrated and never officially used for burials, when Mr Tyndale took over the lease. Thus was born the so called Nonconformist cemetery, a place where those who practices Christianity outside of the Church of England were buried.
Surrounded by a brick wall, a line of spikes ran along its top, facing inwards. A great iron wrought gate guarded the entrance, leading towards a small brick building called Bunhill Fields Meeting House, in which the bodies were interred and services held for those buried here. Above the gates an inscription was made in the stone arch.
This church-yard was inclosed with a brick wall at the sole charges of the City of London, in the mayoralty of Sir John Lawrence, Knt., Anno Domini 1665; and afterwards the gates thereof were built and finished in the mayoralty of Sir Thomas Bloudworth, Knt., Anno Domini, 1666.