Our new season is now open: Spring 1677 !
Carr Johnson, Solicitors at Law
Temple Stairs, off Fleet St.
Situated as it was at the top of a side street, the offices were of some standing and respectability, as well as some profit. A sign, declaring the name of the partnership in gilded lettering, hung above the doorway. As was common with such professional offices, the door opened into a small foyer, leading to a staircase to the first floor; the ground level being occupied by a bookseller's shop on one side and a jewellers on the other.
The offices were decorated with ornately carved furniture and doors of walnut, with brass fixtures; a few paintings of good quality upon the walls; and oriental rugs upon the well-polished wood floor. This was not conspicuous wealth, but rather subtle success. The place had an air of permanence, its location having been out of reach of the flames of the Great Fire. Five doors lead from the reception room to other chambers.