Our new season is now open: Spring 1677 !
Henrietta Maria Stuart
This character is deceased.
- Character Name: Henrietta Maria Stuart
- Title: Dowager Queen Consort of England, Scotland, and Ireland
- Estate Name: n/a
- Nationality: French
- Age: deceased - b. 25 November 1609, d. 10 September 1669
- Gender: Female
- Religion: Catholic
- Eye Colour:
- Hair Colour: Brown
Initial Impression of Personality
- Born the youngest of seven children of Henry IV of France and Maria de Medici, she was to be sister to Louis XIII of France as well as Queen Consort to Charles I of England. She was Charles I's second choice of bride and their marriage did not start off amicably. She did not get on with her husband's closes confident, George Villiers Sr., the 1st Duke of Buckingham. Interestingly, relations between Henrietta Maria and her husband improved following the death of the Duke.
Her steadfast Catholicism set her at odds with the English people. Her insistence on seeking financial support for her husband in his struggle against the Parliamentarians from Catholic powers abroad may have been a hindrance to her husband's cause. Perhaps it was fortunate for Henrietta Maria that she was on the Continent when trouble began in 1642. Still, she returned to England the following year, bringing armed troops and making her headquarters at York, before eventually rejoining the King at Oxford. She was, nevertheless, forced to flee England with her sons in July, 1644, when Scottish support for the Parliamentarians turned the tide against the Royalists.
Widowed in 1649, she lived in Paris until Charles II's Restoration in 1660, when she returned to England to live as the Dowager Queen. In 1665, she returned to France, to retire to a convent at Chaillot. She died at Chateau de Colombes and was buried in the royal tombs at St. Denis Basilica, near Paris.
|Henrietta Maria of France m. Charles I||Charles James, Duke of Cornwall - died young||no issue|
|*||Charles II m. Catherine of Braganza||no issue|
|*||Mary, Princes Royal m. William II||William of Orange (William III)|
|*|| James Stuart (James II)
1m. Anne Hyde
|*||*||James FitzJames, 1st Duke of Berwick|
|*||2m. Mary of Modena||*|
|*||Elizabeth, Princess of England - died young||no issue|
|*||Anne, Princess of England - died young||no issue|
|*||Henry, Duke of Gloucester||no issue|
|*||Henrietta Anne, Princess of England m. Philip I, Duke of Orleans||no issue|
* offspring born after 1675 has not been included