Our new season is now open: Spring 1677 !
How do I really get involved in the game?
From AoI Wiki
The key to making the game enjoyable is interaction, and there are several ways of going about it.
Things to do IC when your Start
- Read through the NPC's and decide who you wold like to meet - then conspire how you can manage to meet them.
- Create an aim for your PC, and work that aim into your characters conscious ambitions then start plotting towards meeting that goal.
- Become knowledgeable of all the places at court - visit every location, then as the expert you may offer newbies a tour.
- Hunt out gossip, create gossip, stir trouble amongst your peers.
- Organise a group outing - boating, a picnic, a ride etc
- Nurture a new friendship: write letters to people recently met.
- Develop an enemy - what adds more thrill to life than an enemy you despise? Anticipate the sweet relish of their comeuppance!
- Woo a member of the opposite sex, or two. Sending loveletters, poems and flowers.
- Decide on something that you would want, that is well beyond grasp, and begin to strive towards reaching it.
- Decide to learn a new skill.
- Snub someone deliberately and see what happens?
- Start reading books on poisoning, and see if people around you start to worry.
- Wake up in a foul mood, and be mean.
- Wake up in a deliriously happy mood and extend a favour to the first person you meet.
- Sit down in a corner of London that you have not visited before and ponder the meaning of life, especially your life. Even if nobody joins you.. it gives you time to reflect on your life and build character.
- Beat somebody at a game of witty repartee. Make a limerick on another character. Say something that a lot of people will remember just because it made them laugh so hard.
- Have a hidden crush on someone. Destroy every love letter you write, every poem on the subject once it is written. Give longing glances but look away quickly when the other person pays attention. Despair!
- Have a gamble. You can gamble on pretty much anything, even the weather.
- Create a society event. Build a network of friends and then invite them to dinner or tea.
- Have your portrait taken. Increase your fame by sitting for a painter. It will look so lovely above the chimney, reminding your friends of your wealth and influence.
Things to do OOC when you start
- Seize the Initiative. Even if your character is shy, you need to take the initiative in the game. Sometimes moderators will post "adventure hooks" with NPCs present that give you an opportunity to meet someone or get embroiled in a plot, but we do these infrequently. You should post your gal or guy in some thread walking around the palace or the city, even doing mundane things. This gives other players a chance to post their characters to meet yours. It also allows a mod to have an NPC happen by for you to meet. If you just sit and wait for others or mods to create a thread, you will become bored.
- Take Chances. The meek might inherit the Earth, but they will not succeed in this game, if they are ambitious. If you want to get ahead, you need to be out there finding opportunity. Just as a good job or Prince Charming will not come to your door looking for you, you must be out there casting your net and fishing.
- Tell the reader what you are thinking. The best writers give depth to their character when they reveal the secret thoughts. It is more fun reading a post when someone might be saying nice things but thinking insults. It also better adds color to your character. Also, if you have plans for your character, as to things she might like to do, post it in your secret area as it will give us mods some input in designing plots for you.
- Set Some Goals. This game is generally designed for ambitious characters that wish to rise at court (either politically or socially). However, if your character does not dream of being the power behind the throne, that is okay. Still, you should have ideas about getting married and leisure activities that would interest you. Some times you do not have to be the leader, but can have fun supporting someone else's rise. Regardless, some goals would be a good thing. See Also Goal Orientated Playing.
- Barge on In. Just because there are 2-3 players in a thread does not mean that there is not room for 2-3 more. If it is in a public place, then write up an excuse to happen upon the others, or maybe you are already there. Don't think that you aren't welcome. The more, the merrier.
- Feedback. Give the mods feedback of what you would like to do with your character. Post this in your Player Compendium. We'll look for a way to accommodate story lines that might achieve what you would like to see.