Our new season is now open: Spring 1677 !
In good conditions barges travelled daily from Oxford to London carrying timber and wool, foodstuffs and livestock, battling with the millers on the way. The Thames provided the major highway between London and Westminster in the 16th and 17th centuries; the clannish guild of watermen ferried Londoners from landing to landing and tolerated no outside interference.
Types of boats:
- simple barges and ferries
- larger barge to contain parties
- sailing barge (used in trade)
- simple rowing boat
- pleasure boat (rowing boat or punting)*
* Financially Well To Do and Financial Abundance Only